Friday, January 13, 2012

We've Landed!

Well, we (Jason and I) made it to Spain in one piece. I can't say much about the 10 hour flight due to the fact that approximately 20 minutes in to the in-flight viewing of The Hangover II, both of us promptly passed out and didn't awaken until the wheels touched the tarmac in London. What I CAN say about it: THANK GOD. I hate flying, especially when you're in a cabin that is kept at a stifling 900 million degrees (Fahrenheit or Celsius; either way I'm grateful I was unconscious for the duration).

Our scheduled one-and-a-half hour layover in London turned out to be a 10 minute layover in London-- long enough for me to find a very much desired Diet Coke vending machine and curse the stupid thing to hell for only accepting Euros (which I hadn't yet acquired). God, dammit.

We're here now in Madrid for the night at an adorable hotel called the Hotel Mediodia. It's literally 360 feet from the train station where, tomorrow, we'll depart for Cádiz! But, I'm getting ahead of myself. We arrived at the hotel by taxi at around 5 o' clock, and of course the first and only thing I had in mind after a day's worth of travel is a long, hot shower. Jason, too, took a moment to wash away all the grit, grime, and sweat a traveller seems to inevitably accumulate, and then promptly fell asleep.

After he wakes, I'm hoping that we'll have an hour or two later this evening to grab a meal and a drink somewhere nearby. There are so many cute shops, restaurants, and cafes all around the Plaza de Atocha (full name: Plaza del Emperador Carlos V, what a mouth full!), where the Atocha railway station is located. It's too bad we didn't schedule a day or two of site seeing here in Madrid, since we have a very, very early train departure tomorrow morning and won't have the opportunity to go exploring.

One more thing before I wake "Sleeping Beauty" and go find some comida; an interesting realization I had during the taxi ride from the airport: Oddly enough, I feel more comfortable and at ease here in España than I do when my friends and I visit Canada. I'll definitely have to muse on it a bit more as to why that is!

Until the next update, and until I can get some photos up, here's a link to a Wiki article about the Plaza. The subject of the photo featured in the article can be seen from our fifth-floor hotel room! See? Doesn't it make you want to go exploring?

Also, if you look just below this posting where it says "Location: Madrid, Spain" you can click the link, zoom in on Google Maps, and check out the street view of where we are. It's practically like you're looking out my hotel window with me. (:

Lots of love from your Raquelita favorita.

No comments:

Post a Comment