Monday, January 16, 2012

sábado, domingo, lunes...

Everyone I've met, and everything I've experienced here so far in Cådiz is absolutely and wonderfully dashing my expectations to bits. Little more than 56 hours ago I had so many doubts and concerns about my ability to acclimate to a new time zone let alone an entirely different culture, but the rhythm of the life of los Gaditanos has proven to have a pretty captivating beat.


As previously mentioned, la ciudad has been busy this weekend with several exciting pre-Carnival events, which not only granted the other Dawgs and I a tiny glimpse at what is to come during Carnival (February 16th-26th), but also the opportunity to introduce ourselves to the city and to los ciudadanos. As an Ugly American, I fully expected to be ignored--or worse, targeted--by the locals but in reality I've experienced quite the opposite. First, imagine this plaza spilling over with hundreds of people between the ages of 15 to 80, with a stage constructed at one end and music flooding the square. Then, image that on all sides, people are eager to hand you free pestiños (honey-dipped fritters), Anise, and manzanilla (dry sherry), and as much as you can hold at a time! You'd have to literally try--and try hard--to feel unwelcome when everyone is so eager to include you in the celebration.


On Sunday afternoon the fiesta continued with Erizada and Ostionada, appropriately named for the free treats handed out on that day. Equally free, but certainly less popular with me than the pestiños from the night before. Yes, beer (FREE beer) goes great with sea food, but I am not, nor ever will I be, an "oyster person." And, for the gringos back home, an erizo is a sea urchin. Tasty...


The first day of our two-week long orientation/intensive review began early this morning at the University of Cádiz (UCA) and my one-month long hiatus from classes has finally come to an end. We won't officially begin our language, literature, history, and what-have-you classes until later this month, but it's been a nice introduction so far. My temporary professor, Paco, has a great sense of humor and our minute, nine-person group has already established a pretty strong bond. I look forward to continue practicing and reviewing Spanish over the next couple days; discussion-based exercises are my favorite because it's less about mindless repetition and more about legitimately considering how to adequately express your ideas (a veces más difícil de lo que parece...). However, the weather has proven to be more reminiscent of the Pacific Northwest than is desirable. I know I've always complained about the fact that UW has a tendency to jack up the heat when the thermometer drops below, like, 72°, but you will not find an HVAC system here no matter how hard you try. My poor suede boots are still thoroughly soaked and the highs were in the low-fifties today. At least if I lose a toe or two I have free, localized health coverage through UCA.  


All in all, gracias a Dios for pleasant surprises! My parents would be quick to tell you how easily I bring myself to hysterics worrying about things that never come to be, and now I'm aware that this is probably another one of those situations. I'll tell you that up until the last second of the train ride from Jerez I was imaging a huge, foreign city full of muggers (thanks, Mom), crazy Gypsies (again...), mumbly Gaditanos, and nowhere to call home.


But, you know what they say about assumptions...

No comments:

Post a Comment